Your wedding is a fabulous ritual of connected-ness, joy and love. But once you are married it is important to create regular rituals to stay connected and keep the love growing for the rest of your lives. Here are a few relationship tips on growing your connection with rituals....
A few ideas for love & marriage rituals for couples:
- Always say "I love you" before you go to sleep or when you leave the house for the day.
- Make a point of stopping whatever you are doing to give a real greeting when your partner comes home from work for the day.
- Make a monthly surprise evening where one partner creates a special ritual to surprise the other - take turns each month to keep it fair and even a little competitive. Make a prize at the end of the year for most original or surprising ritual.
- Date night - it works for a reason. Once in a while you can even pretend you've just met and are asking questions on a first date to get to know the person across from table better- it may surprise you!
- Make a love note board and add a good thought for your partner every Monday morning or slip a note in their purse or wallet to remind them you love them.
- Make a picnic and relax together on the first Friday of each month [and not talk about work].
- Learn something new together 3 or 4 times a year like swing dancing, bowling, archery, mah jong, sailing...anything that floats your boat. Take turns choosing the activity so you keep new ideas and activities balanced and flowing.
- Celebrate anniversaries, lots of them. The first time you met, your first date, your first kiss, and all the rest. Celebrating anniversaries communicates how much you value the love. (Extra credit if you celebrate the anniversaries of your parents of married friends that inspire you. Interview your inspiring couples to learn how they keep their love alive and share to your partner.)
- Be physically affectionate without sex sometimes. Intimacy is not always about sex. Loving touch like cuddles and hugs, that do not lead to sex, build your intimacy and trust. Everyone needs to be touched now and then without any other agenda beyond love, warmth and closeness.
- Repeat your wedding vows to your partner or offer a small gift on your wedding anniversary date each month - even little gifts or words of love show you care with all your heart and that your closeness is the most important thing in your life.
Photos by Tim Otto Photography