The ceremony arch is set, the flowers are perfectly placed, and the guests are about to arrive. It's so exciting when it has all come together and the love and joy are about to commence. San Diego event planner Melissa Barrad of I do Weddings snapped this quick photo of the calm before the joy and we love this styling! Retro plastic shell chairs by Witty Rentals, [view by San Diego, California of course] and the talented Organic Flora did the florals and arch. Love everything about this aisle.
Sherrill Kinsler Gilford and Rachel Wood bring over 30 years of experience to the event world. Sherrill and Rachel are both owners of RSVP Events of San Diego, a full service event design company which specializes in weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs, corporate and non-profit events. Their experience ranges from small intimate events for 10 people to large scale corporate events and expos for over 5,000 people with everything in between. These two can do it all!
wedding photos of RSVP Events planned wedding by Kathleen Geiberger Photography
More about the RSVP Events team: Sherrill holds a certificate in Meeting and Special Event Planning, is a certified Bridal Consultant and Co-Founder of BESA, The Bar/Bat Mitzvah Event Services Association. Sherrill is also Co-owner of Charming Expressions, a unique party entertainment company. She started her career working for a Fortune 500 Company, planning meetings, special events, and expos, and has been awing clients with her events ever since. When she is not busy planning awesome events, she’s working on new and innovative event ideas. She is the creator and original producer of San Diego’s Bar/Bat Mitzvah Expo and Showcase. Sherrill and her husband (Scott) enjoy spending time together with their dog (Spencer) and traveling the globe.
Rachel was a student at San Diego State University in 2004 when she began interning with Sherrill. While in college, Sherrill mentored Rachel and taught the business to her, inside and out. Rachel graduated from SDSU in 2008 with a Bachelor Degree in Hospitality & Tourism Management, with an emphasis in Special Event & Convention Management. Rachel worked at an upscale, boutique hotel in the seaside town of La Jolla and managed all of the hotel's wedding and social events. Events are Rachel's passion -- but so is helping others -- so she left the hotel world and entered into the non-profit world and planned major fundraising events. She now serves as a Gala Committee Member for Home of Guiding Hands, which raises money for infants, adolescents, and adults with developmental and intellectual disabilities. When Rachel isn't planning events, you can find her hanging out with her two daughters (Madelyn & Emily) and husband (Jesse) at a local park or San Diego attraction.
Sherrill and Rachel stay quite active in the Special Events industry. Sherrill has taught Hospitality classes at a local community college and is an annual speaker at the Special Event Convention. Both frequently attend seminars and workshops to stay current in the industry and ahead of the trends, and belong to multiple special event associations. Sherrill and Rachel have been working with each other for over a decade so it was a natural transition to become come partners and thus, RSVP Events was created.
Have you ever left a wedding reception and thought, "That was the best reception I have ever been to!!!"? What about the ones where your feet are twice the size they were starting out the night from dancing too much or your belly is so full from delicious food that you have to roll to the car? Or even the ones where you leave with a list full of ideas for your next get together, whether it was the location or decor that won you over? Well, we have found a reception that we think is a contender for Best Wedding Receptions Ever (if there was such a list)! Christian and Kendall Florido's reception was held at the Twin Oaks Garden Estate, an awesome local outdoor wedding venue. To compliment the foliage rich estate, the couple had a beautiful vintage table ensemble that featured gold chargers complimented by mint green napkins on lace runners with charming greenery and those chair bow, adorable! And to top it all off every guest got a yummy mini apple pie. Pie!! After the pies were eaten, the dance floor was a huge hit after Christian and Kendall christened the dance floor with a fun and upbeat first dance. We have to admit we wish we had crashed the Florido's wedding!
The Star of India, built in 1863, is a magnificent atmosphere to celebrate life and love in San Diego! This iron-hulled beauty is the oldest active ship in the world (and a state and national historic landmark) and is the coolest nautical wedding venue ever (especially for these two San Diego natives!) with the best views in town as it is right on the water! Jessica and Gregory's charming wedding photographed by Pink Light Images puts your right in the heart of this day of sun, sea and San Diego as you set sail for love and marriage!
After their amazing wedding on water Jessica and Gregory, both foodies, headed to an intimate reception on land. They held their dinner at The Wine Vault & Bistro - one of San Diego's best kept culinary secrets! Insiders know this is the place to go for great food and wine pairings. The reception guests enjoyed a second cocktail hour with tray passed appetizers and then we moved onto a 5 course menu that was paired with wine and spirits. The ambiance was very simple yet romantic with an all white theme and two acoustic guitarists playing English and Spanish cover songs throughout the night. It really was a Bon Voyage!
Photography: Pink Light Images
Ceremony Venue: The Star of India
Reception Venue: The Wine Vault & Bistro
DJ: Cutlos Supreme
Jewelry: Icing Jewelry Store
Groom’s Attire: Macy’s
Men’s Shoes: Steve Madden
Weddings, in some ways, will never change. The beauty, the emotions, the joy and spirit of love and new beginnings, all combining to create an incredible, memorable event for you and for your guests. Wow!
Wedding planning on the other hand, has changed a lot! Weddings are no longer a matter of inviting your guests from across town to drive over to the church or temple and convene at a nearby club or home for a reception. Southern California weddings in particular involve many more activities, agendas and travel arrangements and don’t forget to add in the stress of unique relationship dynamics involving divorced or step parents and the myriad of other issues among families and friends that we must contend with in our time.
Your wedding is most likely going to be the only time in your life that you will gather your entire world together for a celebration of life. This can be very top heavy, pressure filled, and possibly chaotic, however it also offers you the opportunity for greatness. A haphazardly planned wedding; an event without focus, feels stressful and sloppy. It never takes off into a higher realm because it too disjointed.
We don’t believe in Bridezillas. But we do know just how colossal an undertaking producing a wedding usually is and that being unprepared and having unrealistic expectations is a recipe for a meltdown. So the more you know and the more you get the right the help the better experience you will have at your own wedding!
Your decisions on everything from location, flowers, music, tablecloths, and dress need to work together to create a cohesive feeling. In other words; a wedding is more than the sum of its parts. By the way the ability to make decisions together is one of the key elements to a healthy, successful relationship so don't shy away from working together.
And that is where effective planning comes in. The first step in planning a powerful and cohesive wedding event is getting focused on what you want; this can be challenging because there are so many wonderful things to choose from!
It’s an Instagram and Pinterest world baby! Begin collecting images and see how your style and taste manifest into the wedding for you, see our expert advice planning articles and tips and our budget help section to find the right price range for your event and then start with location searching! Follow us on Instagram and Pinterest and all other social media platforms for constant inspiration and ideas.
A Coordinator is truly the one event resource that you should book right from the start as they can assist you with so many details and save you countless hours and money. Let's face it even Brain Surgeons won't do a DIY procedure and unless you are a professional planner for a living [then you REALLY shouldn't plan your own event!] you just won't know all the tips and tricks and work and elements to handle. And shouldn't your job be to show up and enjoy one of the most powerful and profound days of your life with all of your focus on the ones you love and the magic of the day?
Some people choose a date with meaning and they’re off and running, first others wait to find out the available dates at their venue of choice, either way, after you have a set date you then begin interviewing and booking the perfect professionals who will listen to your needs and ideas and manifest them. Oh and be sure to visit the top wedding expo in town The Wedding Party EXPO to meet a ton of great wedding professionals and experts in person! Register with us for ticket giveaways... And remember to have fun!
Ps. Can we crash your wedding?
Wedding coordinators, event planners and event designers are the backbone of successfully implemented weddings. Here's 7 great reasons for you to work with a real pro planner.!
1. A good wedding planner is the conductor to the orchestra of your wedding vendors. Yes your wedding vendors know what they're doing individually, but having a real professional event planner coordinating all these different professionals into creating a symphony just for you can make your event a harmonious work of art instead of a discordant mess. And the best wedding vendors truly appreciate working weddings when there is a capable planner at the helm.
2. Someone who knows what they're doing and knows what can go wrong and how to make things go right overseeing and running your wedding makes all the difference in the world to your event and your family's and guests enjoyment of it. Have you planned numerous weddings yourself? Probably not. Reading a bunch of information on websites can never prepare you for the experience of running one of the most top-heavy and emotional experiences of your life which, oh yeah, involves all of your family and friends and - no pressure here - a good chunk of money and is also supposed to be one of the best days of your life. Ahhhhhh!
3. Ask yourself: 'do you want to enjoy your wedding or handle it?' Good. That's what we thought. Now go hire a planner and step aside and actually experience your wedding as the single most important guest there.
4. A wedding planner becomes your voice when you can't speak for yourself because you're busy getting married. Handling an upset wedding guest or controlling family member, can ruin your wedding experience. But if your event planner is in on the potential pitfalls and politics of your family he or she can handle anything that comes down the road leaving you free to feel the love and celebrate.
5. A wedding planner is your budgetary advocate. In other words inexperienced planner who often brings a lot of business to a venue or a vendor and who helps avoid expensive mistakes can save you a lot of money.
6. A great wedding planner becomes your therapist and confidant. Planning a wedding is stressful. Being able to vent and complain, cry or get it out with someone who is not in your inner circle of family or friends (i.e. someone who won't be hurt or hold what you say over your head for the rest of your life) really helps you clear out some mental junk. A great planner helps you release then straighten your crown and move on.
7. And sometimes a planner becomes a best friend. Think about someone who- for a living -helps people celebrate one of the most powerful intimate and impactful days of their life. Frankly wedding planners are pretty cool people so allowing this person into your celebration is allowing them into the best part of your life. Befriending your event planner happens an Who doesn't want a friend who's loving and talented and cares about other people's most important days?
Do yourself [and everyone you love] a huge favor: hire a professional event planner and enjoy your own wedding!
A wedding or even designer helps you from day one create your dream wedding with all their expertise and talent. Check out our list of Event Planners, Coordinators and Designers here...